Friday, May 10, 2013

Digital Citizenship Inside the Early Childhood Classroom


This week I have been researching about digital citizenship and specifically what it means for children in the early childhood classroom. Look at this Prezi that I created that provides an overview of what digital citizenship is and how it relates to Early Childhood.
Digital citizenship is something that I was never specifically taught about. I learned over time through trial and error. I believe that teachers have the unique opportunity to introduce the important concepts of digital citizenship to children at a young age. Every child has different experiences before they come to school. It is up to the teacher to expand on these experiences and grow the students' skills. There are many important skills that we need to safely and effectively use the technology that surrounds us. Some skills are taught as the children get older such as citing sources, but many skills can be taught during the early school years such as how to stay safe online. Here are the sources I used in this post and prezi.

9 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I really liked the SMART chart for internet usage! I agree with your comment at the end that any source loses its credibility if a teacher uses it inefficiently. This is a concept that ALL teachers are taught in school, do not teach something you do not know thoroughly and completely understand! I think most of what our generation has learned about as far as digital citizenship, has come about through trial and error, we certainly never learned about it in school! The Golden Rule, a must have for every classroom! Your Prezi is very organized and detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I really enjoyed your owl themed prezi. Not only that I liked how different your prezi was you took the time to create it, and it turned out to be very effective. I like how you used multiple ideas, resources, and videos inside each bubble. Your creativity shines throughout your prezi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your prezi, and I saw the owl when I was picking out theme and I knew you were going to use it! The prezi was organized and it was easy to see you spent a lot of time on it and it was effective! I like the smart poster, I thought that was a cool extra! Overall, I really liked the information you presented, it was very easy to follow and it was direct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Owl! I thought you did a great job. Your prezi was creative and to the point. Everything was very well written and covered all the requirements. Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like everyone else pointed out, the owl theme was a great reflection of you! Everything was organized well throughout your Prezi and it seemed like you took the time to research all of your sources. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your prezi is really cute. To the point, how I like things. You used a lot of different ideas throughout the prezi, and it shows that you took the time to research the idea of "digital citizenship" good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your prezi was totally you! I liked how it was organized and it went into detail about everything. The path was nice when it would introduce a topic and then go deeper into it with either more specific information or links and videos. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a great Prezi. Would you give me permission to use it at our school's digital training day and to post a link to it on our Schools website for our teachers to use for future reference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like my Prezi. You can certainly use it for your training and as a reference. Can I ask what school district you are with?

      Delete