Sunday, January 20, 2013

All About Me

Hello my name is Rebecca Taylor. I am a junior at Edinboro University, majoring in Early Childhood Education. I have always enjoyed working with children and am pursing a degree that will allow me the opportunity to do something that I enjoy for the rest of my life. I am currently working at a daycare center gaining valuable experience that I will be able to apply in the future.

Besides working with children, I love to cook and bake many different types of foods. Some of my specialities include brown sugar burbon chicken, homemade french fries, cupcakes and amazing chocolate chip cookies. I also have obsessions with cupcakes and owls. I have several cupcake shaped jars, a necklace and candles as well as other cupcake items around my house, and I have an owl coffee mug, ipad cover and a few owl decorations around my house.
I also enjoy many different types of music. My favorite genres currently are Rock, Country, 70's, 80's and 90's. I enjoy artists such as Five Finger Death Punch, Seether, Skillet, Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Cyndi Lauper and Queen. I like to go to concerts in the free time I have away from school and work. In 2012 I got to see many bands including Nickleback, Bush, Seether, Five Finger Death Punch, Killswitch Engage, Martina McBride, Scotty McCreery, Colt Ford, and Pop Evil. In addition, I had the opportunity to meet Nickleback, Five Finger Death Punch, Pop Evil, Emphatic and Theory of a Deadman. I hope to get to see many more bands in 2013.

Another passion of mine is theater. I enjoy all kinds of plays, but musicals are my favorite. I have seen Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Cats, Hairspray, Grease, and Rent as well as others. I enjoy how a show can transport me to a different place and time.Here is some video from Hairspray.



My first impressions of this class are very positive. I like the fact that there are several different programs that are planned for us to learn how to use in this class. I also feel that the professor is knowledgeable about the material. 

My expectation for this class is that I become more competent with various technologies. I also hope that this class inspires me with different ways to incorporate technology into my future classroom. My final expectation is that I will create some really good examples of technology to include in my teaching portfolio.

I would rate my skills with technology as good. If it is a program that I have used previously then I am confident with it. I am, however, not scared of using new technology. I will sit down and just start playing around when I find something I don't have experience working with. I can use both Windows and Mac operating systems. I have an iPhone and iPad that I use daily. I also have a lot of experience teaching technology to my family. I have been on a computer since I was 3 and because of this I am not afraid of them. My family calls me quite often with their basic computer questions. Also if they have problems I go look at their computers and try to troubleshoot the issue. Most of the time I can fix it, but occasionally we have to call a professional for help.

I use technology in many different ways in my current classes. The most obvious, is that I am taking a class online and have taken other classes online in the past. Another way I use technology is my iPad. I use it to edit papers when I am out of the house, store copies of course syllabuses, organize assignment due dates, and study using a flashcard app. I also use technology in that I complete almost all of my assignments on the computer, even if it's not required because it makes them look neater. I also use eBooks whenever possible. I enjoy not having to carry extra weight in my bag and I like that they are always with me no matter where I am. If I have a moment of free time I can read some of the book wherever I am.

I believe that technology is very important in the classroom. I also believe that it becomes more important as children become older. I think that the most important part of young children using technology is to build comfort with it for the future. I believe that because I have been using technology since I was young I am not afraid of it, but my mother hasn't and she is afraid of technology. For a person to be successful in the future I believe that technical knowledge will be very important. I have seen a lot of new technology over my life and plan to see other new forms in the future. In order to succeed in the world we live in, I believe that a knowledge of technology is important.
My boyfriend's kitten using the iPad

9 comments:

  1. Hairspray is my favorite musical! I'm excited to hear about your field experiences in the future, and it's super cool that you are good at cooking and baking. I attempt to bake but it's probably not as good as the stuff you can whip up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pop Evil and Carrie Underwood! It's a weird mix but a good one. The brown sugar burbon chicken sounds ssssooooo good! Cupcakes are one of my favorite things to eat! They can just brighten up your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see that you have a passion for baking and music. You should bring us some baked goods! I'm also very passionate about music and, I hope you will incorporate it into your classroom. It's also great that you are willing to implement technology in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you say you've been using computers since you were 3, I think you proved the point of how technology is like second nature to your generation! And I honestly think kids will learn more effectively with technology in their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked that parents were given a reason for the ordering of the new books. It's important to keep them involved as well because it may allow them to be more supportive. It's also good to see you wanting to go after what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading about yourself! I always envy people that can bake because I am a horrible cook. Good luck with early childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like your a great cook and that you've been using computers for a long time that will probably help you use more technology in the class room

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cooking is such a great thing to know! I'm confident that you will become a very successful and great early childhood teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you seem to show that you know how important technology is in the class room and how it really helps. I like how in depth you bio was.

    ReplyDelete